Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Lada Cats

Nap Time.
I wish I looked this adorable asleep!
Have I mentioned yet how many cats there are in this country?  Greece has more cats than I have ever seen, and they roam at will through Athens, and even Hydra, the island that we visited.  They stare at me pitifully when I eat in cafes, and I trip over them in the dark when I am doing laundry.  Stray cats and dogs seem to simply be a normal part of life here; stray dogs are even given rabies shots!  While many of them are thinner than our plump house pets, most of them appear to be able to make it on their own.  I, however, cannot resist feeding the little family of cats that have adopted Ladas, much to the chagrin of my two cat-allergic roommates.
Siblings
They fight like it, too!
A note on the inside of one of our kitchen cabinets refers to a female tabby that the Teaching Fellows of 2008-2009 named Claya and looked after during their stay two years ago, and I can't help but think that this is the cat that hangs around our house.  Unlike the other stray cats on campus, Claya is not as skittish around people and will let me pet her.  She also has two adorable gray and white kittens (who, unfortunately, will not let me pet them.  I've only been able to touch them by catching them unawares.)  I really want to call one of them Muffin, but they're actually very fierce little beasties.  One of them even attacked my bare toe, thinking it was part of the egg that I was feeding them!
Here is a picture of the whole cat family.  How can anyone resist something so cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment