Saturday, September 18, 2010

Greek Target

On Monday I made my pilgrimage to the Greek Target, more commonly known as Carrefour.  Situated in a stone building past Halandri on the bus route, it looked very little like my beloved red-dot boutique.  After some browsing, I back-tracked to find something to hold my selections and decide on a basket when I see that, predictably, the carts require a 1 euro coin.  I mentally recall my list as I compare straighteners and curling irons to replace the one that I fried by using the wrong voltage setting.  I search in vain for a foldable hamper - all of the ones here look like plastic trash cans with lids.  I wonder why Carrefour stocks 3M picture-hanging strips but no plastic hooks.  And why are so many of the baskets  round?  Isn't that a terrible use of space?  But, apparently, these are laundry tubs used for washing delicates.  I also wonder where people in the checkout lines are getting the food.  I found a bag of flour on special (a tiny bag of flour - do these people not bake?), but I am at a loss as to where I am missing the groceries.  (I find out later that the Carrefour has more than one floor, just like the AB, our nearby grocery store.)
The hard part comes after the shopping is done - getting everything home. Shopping without a car to lug everything home in is very different.  As I carried my storage baskets, bag, and bulletin board out to the curb, I noticed another customer hooking his plastic Carrefour bags to a nifty little hook in front of the seat of his motorcycle.  Some Greeks also have handcarts that they use for groceries.  On the bus ride home, a nice little old Greek woman offered me her seat on the bus (in Greek, of course, with gesturing to get the point across.)  Though I tried to refuse, she stubbornly got up and moved to a seat further back in the bus.  Thank you, little Greek woman.
At my bus stop, I began the long walk back to campus.  I chose not to wait for the #19 bus outside of the Carrefour (which stops closest to campus) and instead chose another bus, so I've added quite a bit of walking to my route.  I only drop something once on the way home, however, and I'm quite proud of my awkward progress.  Plus, my bulletin board looks awesome on my bedroom wall, even more so because of all of the effort that went into getting it there!
My bulletin board,
complete with English class schedule and new hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment