Friday, February 18, 2011

I Lift Mine Eyes to the Hills: Meteora

"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse"
Romans 1:20, KJV


This past weekend, seven fellows set out on a five-hour train ride to Meteora, or the Hanging Monasteries.  I love train rides, but I was very disappointed to realize I had no book and no pen or paper to amuse myself with!  But, since I'd only had about four hours of sleep the night before, it was an excellent chance to nap.


Mandee was fond of the owl on our elaborately graffitied train.
I believe this was taken at our hotel - there are several little
towns like this around Meteora.
Cream horn!  It turned out to be too much sugar - even for me!
The first sight of Meteora was a letdown - "Is that it?" one of the fellows asked.  The little town was nothing special, either: mostly stucco apartments, which seem to be ubiquitous in Greece and never manage to look well-kept.  But, after checking into our hotel (clean, but unremarkable) and eating lunch, we had the first stop of the day that I appreciated: a bakery, of course!  
Afterwards, we decided to do some "light" exploring.  It turned out to be rock scaling, and I was thankful that I'd changed into my hiking shoes.  Then, we called a couple of taxis to take us up to watch the sunset.  I hadn't done much research about Meteora since I didn't think I would be able to go this weekend, but apparently the sunset view is recommended.  On the way, our taxi driver told us that it is thought that the landscape was formed by an ancient sea.  The stones do look rubbed smooth like a pebble in a stream, marked by ripples of a current or tide.  For the rest of the trip, I kept imagining what it would be like if we were swimming around the great rocks.


It was amazing, but I've never been more disappointed with pictures in my life.  You felt that every photo would be as breathtaking as your surroundings, but there is just no way to capture the environment.  None of the pictures do justice to the sheer vastness and magnificence of the scenery; it is definitely one of those places that you can see God as sculptor.


The weather had been utterly wonderful for February - warm and beautiful - but the wind whipping around on the top of the mountains was cold.  We stayed to see the beginnings of the sunset and then hiked down.  


The next day began with a taxi ride to Grand Meteora, the largest and most popular monastery in the area.  It was beautiful inside and out, and it even included areas that appeared as they would have when the monastery began.  The girls in our group got to don really stylish wraps since we were all wearing pants to hike, and it wasn't allowed in the monastery.  Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed inside the actual church, but I can tell you that it was covered in murals and had a large, circular chandelier with depictions of different saints. 
Souvenir shops outside the first monastery we visited.
I bought one of the metal frameworks that holds 25 tinkling bells.
I love the way it looks and sounds; it's now hanging on my wall in Ladas.
They used to use a net to bring things up from the ground to the monasteries.
Now they have a little cable car that goes across to a car-accessible road.
Our devastatingly attractive wraps at the Monastery of Varlaam.

We only got to look inside one other monastery - it was a long walk between some of them and most close at 2 or 3 pm - but they are all lovely from the outside, as well.  I couldn't stop snapping pictures, and I actually ran through my camera battery!  I also couldn't move when I woke up this morning - I guess about a dozen miles of hiking will do that to you.  It may have been on a road, but that road was steep!


The monastery of St. Barbara.  We were disappointed that
we couldn't go in.  It looked like it was closed to visitors
for the off-season.
While Eleni, Mandee, and I headed to St. Barbara's, the rest of the fellows
found a nice lookout spot.  They are all the way across the valley -
thank goodness for zoom cameras!
Hiking down highways seems to have become a habit of ours...




Photo Credit!  Thanks, fellows, for the picture of me holding the cream horn and the one with the stylish skirts.  And the train photo - such a cute idea, Mandee!

1 comment:

  1. I want to live in these pictures.

    Except the one with the skulls. For some reason, I feel like they're about to grow legs and start tap dancing.

    Uh...

    ReplyDelete