Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Justin Goes Greek

I was delighted when my friend Justin, who is currently researching at CERN in Geneva, arranged his schedule so that he could visit me in Greece.  It's fun to have people visit, not only because everything is more fun with a good friend, but also because visitors remind me of the amazing things about the place that I live - things that I often forget in the day-to-day annoyances of living.  Justin appreciated the particular beauty of Greece immediately, whereas I had to grow accustomed to the sparse and strange vegetation.

We spent a couple of days in Athens, visiting the Acropolis, the museum, and the tomb of the unknown soldier.  We even stopped by the protest at Syntagma Square on Sunday, though there weren't as many people as usual (likely because it was a holiday weekend.)  And, since Justin appreciates food as much as I do, we ate... and ate... and ate... wherever we went.


On Saturday we took the bus to Nafplio, as Justin ruled out the beach in favor of castle-climbing.  No complaints from me, since Nafplio is one of my favorite places!  And, of course, there was eating - this time at the most incredible gelato place - Antica Gelateria di Roma.


We topped off the visit with a movie night at the mall (so very Greek, I know).  But Justin had not had a chance to see a movie in the theater since his arrival in Europe, and I'd only been to one.  Plus, the movie, X-Men, was great - and since seeing movies was a general weekend thing for our group of friends back at Rhodes, it has a sense of happy familiarity, as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment