Friday, April 15, 2011

Prague (Not Pictured)



Okay, so obviously I do have some pictures of Prague.  Lots of pictures of Prague.  I took them on my first layover on my way to Zagreb.  But, thanks to my picture-snapping frenzy in Plitvice Park, my camera died before I left Croatia.  And, since it was a Sunday when I arrived back in the Czech Republic, like most cities in Europe, Prague was mostly dead, and even finding an instant camera proved less than simple.  (So, keep in mind as you look at the following pictures that they have absolutely nothing to do with what I'm writing about.  But they're pretty.)


Having seen the Old Town Square and its much-famed clock on my first layover, I headed for Prague Castle for my second excursion into the city.  The Castle, I hate to say, looked nothing like a castle to me, and I was likely not appropriately impressed.  The church encircled by the castle, however, is breathtaking, and I was sorry that it wasn't open so that I could look inside.  Not having a camera (crime though it was) gave me a chance to look at my surrounding with a different intent than that of getting the perfect picture.  I walked around the whole church, taking special note of the gargoyles.  If you've never had a chance to see them, let me tell you that each of them is unique, detailed, and also truly disturbing.  I know that gargoyles were originally designed not only as water-spouts, but also to keep evil spirits away - I wondered as I looked at them if they ever kept church-goers away, as well! (Below - not the church I'm talking about - actually, two separate churches in the Old Town Square.  The interior in the first picture below matches the exterior of the church at the beginning of the post.)


I sighed as I took in "the best view in Prague" when my camera battery refused to revive for even one more picture, and then I headed to the Charles Bridge.

I bought an overpriced instant camera and started a mad snapping of pictures in the deepening twilight.  I hardly had time to look at any of the elaborate statues on the bridge, but I did have time to pick up two pairs of gorgeous hand-made earrings as I made my way across.  After a desperate and hurried search for the metro, I made it back to the airport in time to indulge in the requisite Prague beer, a Pilsner, and a bowl of goulash in a smoky bar filled with Greeks waiting for the same flight.  So concludes one of the shortest ever trips to Prague.  I have to go back, of course - a layover doesn't count.

P.S.  Prague is the most organized city ever.  They literally will not let you get lost - there are signs everywhere in the tourist district.  Which is great, because otherwise I probably would have missed my flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment